Friday, April 20, 2012

Color- Part 2


Wednesday we talked about color, and how the color wheel works, and ways you can incorporate different color schemes when decorating. If you missed that post you can find it here.
Today we will finish up our chat on color by talking about achromatic, triadic and harmonious color schemes.

Achromatic
A lot of people shy away from an achromatic scheme because they seem a little tricky, but just like we said with the monochromatic schemes, texture is key to a successful achromatic room.
A room with an achromatic scheme is a room without color. So we are pretty much talking about black and white rooms, as well as any shade of gray in between.
Here are some beautifully done example rooms.


These photos do an amazing job of using texture. The photo above is FULL of texture from the painted brick to the mirrors and glass orbs on top of the mantel. Everything in that room has a different texture.




I don't know about you but when I hear achromatic the first thing I think of is restoration hardware, they are known for there amazingly styled achromatic rooms. Just like the one below.

Ok, let's move on...


triadic
A triadic color scheme uses three colors that are equally spaced in the color wheel. A room using primary colors would be an example of a triadic color scheme.
It is hard to find examples of well done triadic rooms. When I think about this color scheme visions of children's rooms in bright primary colors immediately pop into my head, (not a good thing), but I hunted the web, and here are a few for you to check out. 






this room is beautiful, and I am so impressed with the use of primary colors. 
I almost didn't use it because I couldn't find the legit actual source, but I couldn't find a better one. 
If you know who owns this photo please let me know so I can give proper credit! 


analogous

An analogous scheme uses colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. An example would be red, orange and yellow; or red and violet. This is a fun color scheme to use.



this one has a touch of turquoise which is obviously a complementary color, but it was to great to forget about.

So, that's the gist of what I know about color and design,  I didn't get my notebooks out, so it's quite possible I forgot a detail or two, but hopefully it was helpful and how about those images. Beyond inspiring!

What do you think, would you be interested in more posts on the principles and elements of design?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate hearing your feedback on my posts, and your sweet comments always make my day. I would love for you to take a moment to let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...