Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A New Napkin Holder


I have been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a napkin holder to keep on the table, especially when we have friends over, so they don't always have to ask me where they are or go hunting my cabinets if they need a spare. I spotted this one at Goodwill a few weeks ago, and for some reason I loved it. That reason could or could not have been the forty-seven cent price tag, but the cute little flowers didn't hurt either.


OK, don't run away yet, I promise I am going somewhere better with this. I consider the ability to see things for what they could be as one of my best traits. Not just things, people too, but that's not what we're talking about. I knew that this napkin holder had some good in it, behind all that grime and eighties paint job. 

So, I cleaned it up and primed it.


SO much better already!!! I just used some spray paint from our stash, which is apparently a bit larger than I realized. We pick up cans here and there when they are on clearance at Sherwin Williams, and we often overbuy for projects, or if I just really like a color. The ones with the yellow dots are all discontinued. I thought this one would work well since it seals out all kinds of nastiness. Any sealing primer should work well.


I used one coat of primer, and two coats of satin white, which I somehow forgot to photograph, but I think you can get the idea. I did very light and even coats to prevent drips and get a nice even coverage. I didn't want to overdo it and kill the detail of the flowers or basket. 


I think it's perfect for Spring and Summer, and possibly even beyond that. It might not be exactly what I would've chosen, but for under fifty cents I'm not going to complain. It was pretty much this or nothing.


I love that the middle of it (where the napkins go) is nice and thick, and will hold a ton of napkins. I also like how the white really accents all the details of the flowers and basket pattern. I think I'll hold onto it for a while.

I can't wait to use it on my Easter table!

What have you been spray painting lately? Any hideous eighties paint jobs?

2 comments:

  1. I love it, I have to admit when I saw what it looked like before I couldn't see the potential.... you have a talent :-) I really struggle to do the thin even coats when I spray paint and always end up with drips.... I must be too impatient! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time doing thin even coats too. I knew if I put it on thick here that I would ruin the whole thing, because there were just to many details to try to sand drips off. I'm so glad you like it! I was kind of worried that people would see this one, and just think I'm losing it. Hope you're having a great week!

      Delete

I really appreciate hearing your feedback on my posts, and your sweet comments always make my day. I would love for you to take a moment to let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...