Sunday, November 27, 2011

We are Homeowners!

So, it is finally official my husband and I are the proud owners of a fabulous town home. We couldn't be anymore thrilled. We purchased the property about a week and a half ago, and everything went very smoothly with the closing (FINALLY! Praise the Lord!!)

So the first project we tackled in our new home was the kitchen cabinets. They weren't in bad condition before, the quality is very good, but the poly was starting to peel in some areas, and certainly not worthy of a spot in a kitchen and bath designers home. Since we liked them for the most part, and we are on a very tight budget we decided to refinish the existing cabinets. I chose a white for the uppers and a light gray for the lowers.

 Mike started the job by removing all of the doors and hardware and prepping them for paint by sanding, caulking cracks and priming the cabinet doors and bases. He started with the uppers,

and at this point I am thrilled with the way they look! There was a bit of something that bled through the first coat of primer, so he ended up doing one coat of adhesion primer, one coat of heavy duty primer, and two coats of paint (Sherwin Williams- Twinkle SW7135) They look A-MAZING! 
Another thing we did was rip out the old restaurant style stainless steel back splash. The tape wouldn't stick to it when we were masking everything off, so we decided to just pull it out. I am SO SO glad we did. Why live with something you really don't like when it doesn't have much of a purpose anyway. We will just paint the wall for now, and will eventually replace it with the Beveled Arabesque tile from Mission Stone + Tile.

Anyway, back to the cabinets, the amazing hubs finished up the refinish today, and they will be rehung on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. I am SO excited, and can't wait to fill them up with lots of yummy food for my wonderful family. I am also excited that Mike will be able to get to some of our other projects, like painting the entire house, and hanging light fixtures, fixing toilets. We have all kinds of fun stuff in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate hearing your feedback on my posts, and your sweet comments always make my day. I would love for you to take a moment to let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...