Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Mantel & Burlap Garland

I always struggle with decorating our mantel. It is one spot in our home that continues to stump me when it comes to styling. I think a lot of it has to do with the big black box that hangs above it, and all the cords that come along with it. This is pretty much how it has looked since we moved in right before Christmas.


While our mantel is far from perfect, it's much better than just a few picture frames and a ton of wires everywhere. I was trying to think of a quick and cute idea for making a garland when I came upon some burlap in my stash. Perfect. I cut it into 4 strips that were about 6 inches wide and the full width of the fabric (probably 60")


I folded those in half to find the middle, and pulled on the middle string from both ends until the ruffles looked right.

They ended up being about a foot long each when the were fully ruffled. I just tied the string into a knot at each end to hold the ruffle in place, and added them to the mantle.


I am pretty happy with how it came out. Please excuse my dark shots. I haven't posted in what feels like forever, and I wanted to get this one in. Also, I don't know about you all, but the majority of my best creative work happens between the hours of 8pm and midnight, if not even later. The house is quiet, and all the ideas I've gotten during the day are flowing through my mind.
Anyway, back to the mantel. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I LOVE the burlap garland, and how it camouflages the TV cables. I might make a few tweaks to the rest of it, but I am just relieved to have something there.


The Easter Banner is an awesome free printable from Itsy Belle. This site is a great place to go for holiday/ party inspiration. If you stop by be sure to let them know I sent you!


The subway art in the frame is another free printable from eighteen25, (do you see a pattern here) they have a great blog with lots of free treats. If you have a moment stop over there and say hello!


Almost everything I used to style the mantle came from around the house. The only thing that we bought was the little tree with carrot ornaments ($2- Dollar Store) and the bird on the pedestal ($4- Christmas Tree Shops). I love my new little bird, and I'm sure I will continue to use him in our home long after spring has passed. I shared about the flowers last week in my blooms of the month post.


I'll have to take some pictures of it tomorrow, when there will actually be some natural light in the room or any light for that matter. Who knows, maybe it will look completely different by tomorrow afternoon.
What have you been doing to get that spring feeling in your home?
Does anyone else have design add when it comes to styling your homes?





1 comment:

  1. Wow! your setup is super cute! Thanks for sharing. I love your site!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate hearing your feedback on my posts, and your sweet comments always make my day. I would love for you to take a moment to let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...